Roasted Salmon with Hazelnut Gremolata
FOR THE GREMOLATA
- 1/2 cup skinless toasted hazelnuts Toast hazelnuts in a 350º oven for 5 minutes. While still warm, rub the nuts between your hands to remove the skins.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
FOR THE FISH
- 2 cups mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, cremini), sliced
- 1 small acorn squash, seed removed, sliced into 1/4" half-moons
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil + 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 salmon fillets
- Position one oven rack in the top third of the oven and the other in the bottom third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the mushrooms, squash, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and roast in the bottom third of the oven for 12 minutes, or until the squash is tender and beginning to brown.
- While the squash and mushrooms are in the oven, combine the hazelnuts, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Using a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes on the skin side of each fillet. Season the fillets evenly with the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and rub each one with 1/2 tsp of the olive oil.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and preheat the broiler to high.
- Place the fillets, skin side up, on the top rack in the oven, above the roasted vegetables. Broil the fillets and vegetables for 8-9 minutes, or until the skin is lightly browned and crisp and the flesh is cooked through but still moist.
- Place some of the vegetables on each serving plate and top with the fish. Spoon the gremolata over the fish. Enjoy.