Chaga Mushroom Soup
I find comfort in always having a crockpot full of hot chaga tea decocting on my countertop. Although I love the earthy taste of drinking chaga tea straight or in an elixir, I have also found that it works well as a base broth for soup. This chaga mushroom soup is simple and is one of my staple recipes during the cold winter months.
- 6 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2-3 shallots, chopped
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 cups strongly brewed chaga tea
- Sourdough croutons
- Goat Cheese
- Caramelized onions
- Add the butter to a pot set over medium heat and allow to melt. Add mushrooms, thyme, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and cook down until the mushrooms lose some of their moisture.
- Add shallots and garlic and continue to cook until fragrant.
- Add the chaga tea and stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let the soup bubble away with the lid off.
- After 15 minutes or so, turn the heat off. Let the soup cool and blend at least half of the soup. Return to the pot and season to taste.