Winter came and stayed…

Winter came and stayed…

We kept hoping that it might warm up!  The snow arrived at the beginning of September and refuses to leave. We did heat our fungi greenhouse for 4 weeks and finally decided to “pull the plug!”  The water tank has been drained, the pipes blown out and and...
Shaggy Mane – new pile

Shaggy Mane – new pile

We had some extra Shaggy Mane sawdust spawn in the inoculation room.  We put the sawdust spawn into plain cardboard boxes and buried them in a new compost pile that we have. Next year, we’ll check and see if the mycelium has made it into the...

Reishi – Outdoor experiment

We decided to try something we saw in a photo one time…  buried Reishi sawdust spawn! We created a bit of a trench, covered it with compost (the ground is clay) and then the top is a mixture of compost/hardwood wood chips. We’ll see what...
More progress on fruiting greenhouse

More progress on fruiting greenhouse

The front boardwalk has been built!  We still need to build a ramp. The holding water tank has been installed.  We will be pumping rain water into this tank.  This tank will fill a tote inside the greenhouse.  The fog is created from the tote. Some shelving has been...
New Fruiting Greenhouse

New Fruiting Greenhouse

After several months of planning, things are coming together!  Land was leveled with a back hoe, frame was built and the main structure has been assembled. This is the beginning of the new greenhouse for fruiting mushrooms.  It is modeled off...
Another mushroom wood chip bed added…

Another mushroom wood chip bed added…

If someone had told me 5 years ago that I would be living on a farm building mushroom wood chips beds (with mushroom spawn I made myself), I would not have believed them. This weekend we were in the most pleasant situation to have on hand all the materials required! ...

Pin It on Pinterest